London, Ontario, Friday, May 11, 2018 - Figures released today indicate the job
market is going strong in the London region. Numbers indicate the unemployment rate
fell from 6.3 per cent in March to 5.7 per cent in April. Fanshawe is helping lower
the regional unemployment rate by providing excellent candidates to fill these opportunities.
When Fanshawe students and graduates are looking for a job, they have access to
the best Canadian college career services at their disposal and they are using it.
Since January 1, 2018, the department has posted 2,491 full time jobs, 1,281 entry
level and part time jobs and 48 on-campus jobs. In April alone, they posted 887
full time positions, 537 part time positions and 149 entry level and summer jobs.
"Employment and Student Entrepreneurial Services works to build strong and sustainable
relationships with employers so our students and graduates will have access to high
quality, sustainable employment," says Darlene O'Neill, Senior Manager, Employment
and Student Entrepreneurial Services. "Over the last three years we have built relationships
with 4,600 new employers in every sector. We are thrilled at the outstanding numbers
last month and excited about the opportunities for our students and graduates."
Fast facts about Employment and Student Entrepreneurial Services:
- Last year, more than 52,000 connections were made in Career Services, Co-operative
Education, Leap Junction and Community Employment Services
- Due to Fanshawe graduate demand, the department held two employer career fairs and
one landscaping career fair this year
- Graduate employment rate of 87 per cent (2017 Key Performance Indicators survey)
- The co-operative education employment rate is 87 per cent
- The majority of jobs posted are for the Southwestern Ontario region
- An employer appreciation dinner was held in March for more than 350 employers who
hire Fanshawe students and graduates