Making Life Easier
Toronto, April 16, 2019 - Today, Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek announced new express GO Train
service on the Lakeshore East line that will offer more choice for transit users
and commuters travelling from Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering starting tomorrow.
"Ontario's government is putting people first by investing in public transit to
shorten commutes and get people moving faster, so that they can spend more time
on what matters most to them," Yurek said.
The new express train service is in addition to improvements our government introduced
- 15-minute midday service between Oshawa GO Station and Union Station from Monday
to Friday, representing a total of 27 new train trips and a doubling of midday,
- The opening of new Park and Ride lots in Durham Region to make it easier for commuters
and transit users in Oshawa and Courtice to connect with the GO Train at Oshawa
- Allowing kids 12 and under to ride free on GO Transit.
"By offering more trips when customers need them most, we're making GO an even better
fit for our customers' busy lives," said Phil Verster, President and CEO of Metrolinx.
"We are growing services for our customers every few months and we are committed
to continuously improving how we serve the communities that rely on us each and
"When we build and invest in transportation, we're getting people to work, to home,
to friend, and family faster - these are the things that matter - making life easier
and making Ontarians more productive," said Yurek.
- A new weekday morning express GO Train leaving from Oshawa GO Station at 7:50 a.m.,
then serving Whitby, Ajax and Pickering GO stations before arriving at Union at
8:42 a.m. This train will have 12 cars.
- The return trip will leave Union Station at 4:50 p.m., running express to Pickering
GO Station, then stopping at Ajax and Whitby GO stations before arriving at Oshawa
GO Station at 5:43 p.m. This train will also have 12 coaches.