See Snow? Go Slow!
London, ON, January 17, 2020 - Environment Canada has issued a Special Weather Statement,
which forecasts significant snowfall for all of West Region this weekend. Before
the snow flies, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) want to remind motorists to
adjust their driving behaviours to suit changing road and weather conditions. Remember
to give yourself extra time to get to and from your destination. L eave adequate
space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you in the event you need
to make an emergency stop.
If you don't have to travel, it may be a good idea to stay home, but if you have
to go, here are some other ideas to help ensure you have a safe trip:
511on.ca or @511ONWest on Twitter for road conditions and road closures before
- Ensure your full exterior lights are on and working properly.
- Clear snow from your whole vehicle, including and head and taillights. Do a circle
check of your vehicle whenever you stop.
- Ensure your fuel tank is full, so that you don't run out of gas if stranded and
to prevent condensation in your fuel tank.
- Pack an emergency travel kit (food, blanket, candle , extra cell phone power) in
case you are stranded or stuck.
- Bring an extra jug of windshield washer fluid.
"Slow down, stay alert and stay in control - these simple steps will go a long way
in reducing the number of winter weather-related collisions on our roads" - OPP
West Region Traffic and Marine Manager Inspector Shawn Johnson.
OPP Contact Information