Friday, August 23, 2019 - With summer coming to an end and families preparing for
back to school, Woodstock Police would like to share some back to school safety
- Walk on the sidewalk, or facing traffic if there isn’t one.
- Stop and look left, right and left again to check for cars before crossing the street.
- Practice walking to school with your children to teach them the safest route and
encourage them to use the same route every day so you know where they are.
- Cross streets at crosswalks when available.
- Never walk while texting, talking on the phone or using headphones.
- Stay alert to what is going on around you and on the road.
- Always wear a helmet that is fitted and secured using the 2V1 rule.
- Teach kids the rules of the road: ride single file on the right side of the road,
come to a complete stop before crossing the street and walk across the road.
- Watch for opening car doors and other hazards.
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Wear bright coloured clothes to be visible to other road users.
- Teach children the proper way to get on and off the bus
- When getting off the bus remind children to look for moving vehicles before crossing
- Walk around the front of the bus so the driver can see you.
- Sit in your seat and follow the bus driver’s rules.
- Share the road and be alert to your surroundings.
- Never pass a bus
- Follow the 40 km speed limit and do not stop in no stopping areas
- Do not block crosswalks
- Never enter crosswalks until the crossing guards have cleared the roadway
Woodstock Police will be patrolling school zones in the upcoming weeks to remind
drivers to slow down and pay attention and would like to have a safe and injury
free 2019/20 school year.
The WOODSTOCK POLICE SERVICE would like to encourage anyone having information about
school related infractions to contact WOODSTOCK POLICE SERVICE at 519-537- 2323
or Crime Stoppers 421-TIPS (8477) or toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).