Hiring: Elgin Natural Heritage Inventory Assistant: May 7, 2014: Stretching from Toronto to Windsor, the Carolinian Life Zone
of southwestern Ontario is one of North America's most vibrant & fragile ecoregions.
Carolinian Canada Coalition (CCC) brings together diverse sectors, people and governments
to collaboratively steward southwestern Ontario's unique habitat network - green
infrastructure to support thriving wild and human communities in harmony for generations.
(Canadian Registered Charity 83559 4722 RR0001)
This position will assist the Director of Ecosystem Recovery and Program Manager
in the development, promotion, and implementation of a Natural Heritage Inventory
for Elgin County (ENHI) as part of the CCC project team.
- Working with rural landowners, including identification of potential ENHI participants,
contacting interested landowners and setting up site surveys
- Lead/conduct field-surveys as assigned, and coordinate survey volunteers
- Assist with data entry, mapping, and interpretation and reporting as required
Outreach and Communication:
- Research and compile opportunities to promote the ENHI project widely throughout
the county and surrounding area.
- Attend and deliver talks/displays as directed.
- Write and submit newsletter/newspaper/online content as directed.
- Liaise with local groups and Elgin Conservation Action Plan members, and respond
to queries from program participants
- Organize local training workshops for volunteers
Other Carolinian Canada Coalition related work:
- Maintain Carolinian Canada relevant office systems and records accurately and efficiently
including databases, spreadsheets and files.
- Use multiple means of communication to coordinate with other staff.
- Liaise with Carolinian Canada volunteers, partners, board, contractors and membership
as required to maintain good working relationships and foster diverse participation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree preferable, or comparable experience
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, work as part of a team and meet deadlines
- Ability to work from a home office
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, and access to a computer with high-speed
- Willingness to travel and use of vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed)
- Familiarity with Carolinian Canada natural heritage, Species at Risk, organizations
- Experience working with rural landowners is an asset
- Carolinian species identification skills an asset
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as needed
Term: This is a 6-month contract position with potential for extension. The
starting wage is $15 - $20 per hour, depending on skills, experience & qualifications.
Location: London or vicinity with option to work from a home office. Preference
will be given to candidates living in, or familiar with, Elgin County.
Starting: June 2014, or as soon as a suitable candidate is found
This position is being funded in part by Science Horizons. The following conditions
are mandatory. Please refer to the Environment Canada website for more information
At Start of the internship:
- The intern cannot be over 30 years old.
- The intern will be a graduate of a post-secondary institution (University, College,
CEGEP (collège d'enseignement général et professionnel), etc.).
- The intern will be legally entitled to work in Canada (persons awaiting permanent
resident status and those who hold a temporary visitor visa or student visa are
- The intern cannot have participated as an intern in Science Horizons or any other
Youth Employment Strategy (YES) Career Focus program before. See our website for further details. Also see the
last page of this guide for more details on YES programs.
- The intern should be unemployed.
During their internship:
- The intern will not be receiving Employment Insurance.
- The intern will not be in school.
Please send a resume and cover letter to the contact below with the subject line
ENHI Assistant Position. Late submissions will not be accepted. Submissions may
be kept on file should additional employment opportunities arise. Only those applicants
who are selected for an interview will be contacted. However, we thank all applicants
for their submissions and their interest in Carolinian Canada.
Application Deadline: May 23, 2014
Apply by email to: Sarah Hodgkiss, Program Manager, ElginNHI@carolinian.org