Ecoped brand e-bike
The Woodstock Police Service would like to educate the public about Electric Bikes
To operate an e-bike:
- No driver's licence is required
- No written test is required
- No vehicle registration or plate is required
- No motor vehicle liability insurance is required
- All operators/riders/passengers must be 16 years of age and older.
- All operators/riders/passengers on operating an e-bike are required to wear an approved
bicycle or motorcycle helmet.
A power assisted bike or "e-bike" must be equipped with handlebars and pedals.
If the pedals have been removed from an e-bike, it is no longer considered to be
an e-bike. Removing the pedals makes it an illegal motor vehicle because it does
not conform with the Highway Traffic Act definition of a power-assisted bicycle.
Operators run the risk of being ticketed for operating a motor vehicle without registration
If you remove the pedals of your electric bike, then operators can be issued a Provincial
Offence Notice for Drive Motor Vehicle - No Plates $110.00 and Drive Motor Vehicle
- No Insurance which is a traffic court appearance where you can face a fine up
For more information on Electric Bikes and Regulations, please visit the Ministry
of Transportation Website at www.mto.gov.on.ca
- Woodstock Police Service: 519-537-2323
- Crime Stoppers: 519-421-TIPS (8477) or toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
- Website: www.woodstockpolice.ca
- Domestic Abuse Services of Oxford: 24 hour crisis line at 1-800-265-1938
- Victim Assistance Services Oxford County: 519-537-2824
- Canadian Anti Fraud Centre: 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca