Central Elgin, ON: For a limited time Great Lakes Farms' strawberry sauce
will be available at Shaw's Ice Cream - a partnership with delicious results.
MaryAnne Van de Gevel of Great Lakes Farms met Kristine Hayes of Shaw's Ice Cream
at a local food meeting over the winter months. The pair talked and decided it was
important for local businesses to work together and cross promote.
"At Great Lakes we are trying to come up with ways that customers can enjoy our
delicious fruit longer," states Van de Gevel. "The strawberry fruit sauce still
has the delicious fresh taste of our strawberries but with a longer shelf life."
Hayes is "excited to be working with MaryAnne and her family at Great Lakes Farms.
This partnership gives us an opportunity to provide our customers with local seasonal
sundae sauces, and celebrate the wonderful foods grown in our community."
The strawberry sauce is being well received by customers as they enjoy their sundaes.
Both women see this new partnership as a way to further enhance their businesses
by promoting each other’s products in their retail locations.
Ice Cream Fun Facts
• Around 5% of people share their ice cream with a pet!
• Approximately 13% of men and 8% of women admit to licking the bowl after eating
• It takes approximately 50 licks to polish off a single scooped ice cream cone.
• Children between the ages of 2 - 12 and adults over 45 eat the most ice cream
• Vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavour
Strawberry Fun Facts
• Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside
• The average strawberry has 200 seeds
• Strawberries are a member of the rose family
• Belgium has a museum dedicated to strawberries
• The strawberry plant is a perennial; you plant one this year it will grow next