Golden Light & Lapwing by Candy McManiman
Back again with another exciting show is one of Port Stanley's favourite annual
rites of Spring, the Port Stanley Artists' Guild Show and Sale, which opened at
the Legion on Friday night, June 3th, 2016. It runs Friday, June 3rd, 6 - 9PM, Saturday
June 4th, 11AM - 8PM, and Sunday June 5th, 12 - 5PM.
The new collection of works, shows how the artists have all taken some new twists
and turns in their growth as artists, and much of it is pretty impressive stuff.
What you like in art is an extremely personal matter of taste and there is a wide
range of styles and mediums in this show to appeal to a wide range of tastes. Importantly,
all of it is well done.
This year's Judges were Corinne Garlick and Peter Karas. Corinne Garlick is a painter
and teacher living in London Ontario. She studied art at Bealart and later earned
her BFA at Nova Scotia College of Art and Design specializing in oil painting and
sculpting. Peter Karas attended the University of Victoria and received a BFA in
visual arts in 1996.
- Lavender by Roxanne Jervis: Judge's Comments: Nice perspective
- Wine Glasses by Sandy Deluca: Judge's Comments: Wonderful job describing an interior on a winter's day.
- Season's Chill by Vic Roschkov: Judge's Comments: Excellent and Interesting Watercolour
- With a Cherry on Top by Aganetha Sawatzky: Judge's Comments: Excellent brushwork and lighting.
- Lake Erie Wrath by Judy Ross: Judge's Comments: To capture this moment must of been one in a million.
- Clouds by Heather Keating: Judge's Comments: Has lots of depth, Really nice tone/colour range.
- Lullaby of the Bees by Pamela Vezina: Judge's Comments: Very Eyecatching.
- Golden Light & Lapwing by Candy McManiman: Judge's Comments: Quite striking.
- Brambles by Pat Curtis: Judge's Comments: This piece showed a great use of colour
- Shaping the Light by Kim Yuhasz Judge's Comments: Wonderful use of texture.
- Stalks by Debra Kubu: Judge's Comments: Great complementary colour use.
- On Parade by Brian Young: Judge's Comments: Nice blend of form and action.
- Listening by Sharron Russel: Judge's Comments: Wonderful Painting.
- Yorkshire Dales by S'ine Maule: Judge's Comments: Excellent use of colour.
- Flaming Parrot Tulip by Robin Baratta: Judge's Comments: Confident line & nice texture too.
- True North by Mary Ann Taylor: Judge's Comments: Strong Composition
Still to be announced are the People's Choice Award (chosen by vote of patrons who
visit the show) and the Member's Choice Award (chosen by the member artists of the
Port Stanley Artists' Guild).