March 4, 2013: Juno winner and Port Dover native Fred Eaglesmith has built
his career on the rural character of Ontario. For 35 years he has toured around
to towns and cities across the continent singing about the people and places in
this province. In doing so, he has earned international accolades, gold records,
a spot on David Letterman and songs covered by recording stars such as Miranda Lambert
and Toby Keith; but Eaglesmith says the time has come to bring his show back home
to where it truly belongs. The upcoming concert at the Port Stanley Legion on Saturday,
March 23rd is just one of the local shows he has planned for the spring of 2013.
Photos: courtesy of
www.fredeaglesmith.com. Lead photo taken of Fred Eaglesmith on stage at
The Emelin Theatre in Mamaroneck, NY. January 25, 2013 ~ Submitted by: Howard Weiss.
Photo shown left: Fred rockin' out at The Grey Eagle, in Asheville, NC. November
14, 2012 ~ Submitted by: David Love.
"For years I have been out on the road. I have been playing to people all over the
world, and for those few weeks a year when I was able to get home from wherever
I was, I would drive past a Legion or a community hall somewhere in Ontario and
think Why not play these halls? Why not play for these people?," says Eaglesmith.
At the same time, Legion members and community volunteers have been asking themselves
similar questions; how can we fill our halls and how can we reach out and encourage
new people to get involved? Knowing they share similar goals, and with a desire
to provide a special night out - complete with fancy stage costumes and a top hat
- Eaglesmith and his team have been actively enlisting Legions, community halls
and their members to host shows.
Keith White of the Legion in Angus, Ontario is one person who agreed to help put
together a show. "Our Legion needs people in it more than ever," says White, "and
having Fred Eaglesmith play last December brought out an enthusiastic crowd, many
of whom had never been to a Legion before. The history, warmth and character of
the Legion provides a great venue for live entertainment, and we know that show
provided an opportunity to raise awareness and contribute to the organization's
ability to continue our work."
The Legion's work includes not only veteran services but also much needed local
support throughout the community: to schools, food banks, churches and families
affected by loss or other circumstances. The work they do, and the venue they provide,
excites Eaglesmith to no end. "Legions are special places. We love the vibe and
we love that the right people are benefiting from our shows."
Eaglesmith also thinks Legions and community halls are the ideal venue for his Travelling
Steam Show. The songs he writes and performs, with the help of his band - which
includes Texas knock out Tif Ginn as opener and back up vocalist, bassist Justine
Fischer, Matty Simpson on guitar, mandolinist Mike Zinger and drummer Kori Heppner
- seem particularly poignant and appropriate in these places because they are genuinely
tied to the lives, labours, trials, tribulations and triumphs of everyday people
who may visit them.
"I have played so many venues I can't even count them all, but I can tell you, the
best shows are the ones where I pull up and share a night with folks like those
I meet at Ontario's Legions and community halls. It is not what people think the
music business is - but I say it is what the music business should be - a good night,
in a good place. I just can't wait for these shows."
The show starts at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are available now at
www.fredeaglesmith.com for $25. Tickets at the door are $30.
2013 - Fred Eaglesmith - Ontario
- Thur. March 7th: E-Bar - Guelph, ON
- Fri. March 8th: Class Act Dinner Theatre - Whitby, ON
- Sat. March 9th: Park Theatre and Performing Arts - Cobourg, ON
- Sun. March 10th:: Legion Ganonoque - Ganonoque, N
- Tue. March 12th: Legion Branch 472 - Hawkesbury, ON
- Wed. March 13th & 14th: Neat Coffee Shop - Burnstown, ON
- Fri. March 15th: Wilno Tavern - Wilno, ON
- Sat. March 16th: The Blacksheep Inn - Wakefield, QC
- Sun. March 17th: Perth Civitan Club - Perth, ON
- Thur. March 21st: Wheatley Legion - Wheatley, ON
- Fri. March 22nd: Chatham Moose Hall - Chatham, ON
- Sat. March 23rd: Port Stanley Legion - Port Stanley, ON
- Thur. March 28th: Canfield Community Hall - Canfield, ON
- Fri. March 29th: Brantford Gunners Club - Brantford, ON
- Sat. March 30th: Port Burwell Legion - Port Burwell, ON
- Fri. April 5: Meaford Hall - Meaford, ON
- Sat. April 6th: London Music Club - London, ON
- Wed. April 10th: The FM Lounge - Windsor, ON
- Fri. May 3rd: Orillia Legion Branch 34 - Orillia, ON
- Sat. May 4th: RC Legion, West Ferris Branch 599 - North Bay, ON
- Fri. May 24th: Queens Bar & Grill - Port Elgin, ON
- Sat. May 25th: Blyth Festival Memorial Hall - Blyth, ON
- Thur. June 6th: Time to Laugh - Kingston, ON